Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Night for White Knights


A Night for White Knights

"I always do depend on the kindness of strangers..."

Today calls for a Valentines Day Tribute to the white knights in shining armor who have been so generous throughout my lifetime and career as a web chick.

You mean so very much and you DO so very much to make me smile, to make me laugh, to make me thank the stars above that there are living, breathing angels right here on earth.

Here's to a long, luxurious alliance of kindred spirits, lonely hearts, abundant moments of joy and unbridled excellence.

It's all because of you that any of THIS is possible.

You keep me going through good times and bad.

Through the 'dawn's early light' and the periods of abyss, which befall despite my most earnest intentions....

A.T., P.K., M.M., B.B., and yes, definitely you, M.D. You mean the world to me.

In honor of you, and in honor of Valentines Day:

Here's one of my most favorite poems, by the revered French ecrivain, Monsieur Charles Baudelaire....
 

A une passante -Charles Baudelaire 

La rue assourdissante autour de moi hurlait.
Longue, mince, en grand deuil, douleur majestueuse,
Une femme passa, d'une main fastueuse
Soulevant, balançant le feston et l'ourlet ;

Agile et noble, avec sa jambe de statue.
Moi, je buvais, crispé comme un extravagant,
Dans son oeil, ciel livide où germe l'ouragan,
La douceur qui fascine et le plaisir qui tue.

Un éclair... puis la nuit ! - Fugitive beauté
Dont le regard m'a fait soudainement renaître,
Ne te verrai-je plus que dans l'éternité ?

Ailleurs, bien loin d'ici ! trop tard ! jamais peut-être !
Car j'ignore où tu fuis, tu ne sais où je vais,
Ô toi que j'eusse aimée, ô toi qui le savais !
 



My English Translation

The busy boulevard screeched all around me
Long, thin, in great mourning, majestic sorrow
A woman passed, of such controlled, elegant poise and grace
Lifting, swinging her hem and her seam
 
Agile and noble, with her statuesque legs
Me, I was drunk in her presence, tense like an extravagant
In her eyes, a blue sky from which hurricanes are stirred
A fascinating tenderness and a pleasure which kills
 
A flash....then night falls! Fugitive beauty
Whose eyes had so suddenly awakened me within
Will I never see you again for all of eternity?

Elsewhere, quite far away from this moment! Too late! Never, perhaps!
For I have no idea where you have fled,
You know not of where I am going

Oh, you, who I would have loved,

Oh, you, who knew this all along!
 
Originally published on Feb 15,2011 

Lady Peacock
 

No comments:

Post a Comment